Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, and I cook it all the time when it’s in season. Luckily my husband and family love it too, so it’s great to make when everyone is together. This weekend was my mom’s birthday, so we cooked her a lovely dinner at the lake house complete with steak, risotto and, everyone’s favorite, asparagus. It was a hit!
When I first started cooking asparagus, I would search for the tiniest stalks I could find, because I thought those would be the most tender. One day I couldn’t find small ones, so I settled for the thicker stalks and realized that these were super tender and flavorful! The smaller stalks now seem woody and tasteless to me. So now I seek out the thickest stalks of asparagus I can find when I buy them.
This recipe is super simple and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. I like to add some red pepper to the mix for a little color and a pop of flavor. This would be great with a little cherry tomato or lemon as well! But, if you just like the asparagus, feel free to omit the red pepper and this would still taste amazing. You could also make this recipe and toss it on the grill instead of roasting in the oven. That is also really good, and you don’t have a dish to clean up!
Easy Roasted Asparagus
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 1 T. vegetable seasoning
- 3/4 t. pepper
- 1 red pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350° and spray a dish or pan with cooking spray. If I’m cooking a ton of asparagus, I’ll spread them out on cookie sheets, but otherwise I stick to a glass pyrex.
- Wash and snap the asparagus. I place my hands on the lower third of the stalk and bend to let it break off naturally.
- Wash and cut up the red pepper into strips.
- Chop up garlic, as much as you prefer, and combine all ingredients. I like to just mix them together with my hands, but feel free to use tongs.
- Roast the asparagus for 15-20 minutes until finished, tossing once after 10 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your asparagus, you might need less time.
- Serve immediately! It’s great with salmon, chicken or pretty much anything. Even placing a poached egg on top makes for a great light lunch! Enjoy!